Thursday 6 May 2010

Ancient mummified crocs revealed - news.msn.co.nz

6 May 2010

A CT scan of a 2000-year-old mummified crocodile from Egypt has revealed body parts from two reptiles stuffed inside the ancient artefact.

The 2.4m-long relic was scanned by scientists earlier this month at the Stanford School of Medicine in California.

The scans showed body parts from two Nile crocodiles — two heads, a shoulder bone and what is believed to be a femur, National Geographic reports.

The body parts had been covered in papyrus stems before being wrapped.



Thanks to FunkyDowntown.com for photos...



2 comments:

Jim Leff said...

Just want to say that I'm heartbroken this blog has gone still.

Is there anything I can do to help or encourage you to continue?

Here's some crocodile stuff for you from my own blog:

http://jimleff.blogspot.com/2009/06/crocodile-entry.html

Jenn said...

Thanks Jim, I am excited to see someone reads this!

I have every intention of putting more up but my job has left not a moment to spare for the last 12 months or so.

But now you've given me reason to get going again!

I have almost 20 000 articles to sift through so there will be much backdating going with any luck.

Thanks for your comment and feel free to prod me again if it doesn't happen soon!!