Sunday 17 July 2011

Monster croc attack survivor Todd Bairstow faces his fears with visit to Marineland Melanesia, Green Island - couriermail.com.au

17 July 2011

AFTER the horror that Todd Bairstow experienced, you would think the last thing he would want to do would be to go anywhere near a crocodile.

The 29-year-old miner stunned the world in March when he defied the odds to survive a crocodile attack near Weipa on Cape York Peninsula.

For half an hour he fought a large saltie that held him by the legs and was trying to drag him into the creek he had been fishing in moments before.

The croc had bitten off one of Mr Bairstow's fingers and both his legs were broken as the hungry reptile repeatedly went into a death roll.

But Mr Bairstow managed to cling to mangroves as he punched and kicked the croc, gouged its eyes and tried to pull its jaws apart.

Eventually, his screams were heard by a mate who managed to beat the determined beast off with a stick.

Now, still recovering from the horrendous mauling that nearly ended his life, Mr Bairstow has come face to face with his demons - and one of them is as big as they come.

Overcoming a racing heart and sweaty palms, the Rio Tinto worker met Cassius, a massive 5.5m-plus crocodile, at Marineland Melanesia on Green Island.

"I had to face my fears and look a croc in the eye again," Mr Bairstow told The Sunday Mail.

"I had been thinking about them (crocodiles) a lot and had just finished reading a book on croc attacks so I knew I had to do something to get over mine.

"We had never been to Green Island so I just thought it was a good time to do both."

"It definitely got my heart racing when I heard the crocs growling (during his visit to Green Island)," he said.

"When I met Cassius all I could think was, hell, if he'd got me I wouldn't be here today."

Mr Bairstow watched as Cassius, the world's largest captive crocodile, was fed.

He admits the experience sent shivers up his spine but he got his own back when he got to hold a baby crocodile.

"I put its tail between my teeth as a bit of a joke," he said.

Marineland Melanesia manager Sudama "Toody" Scott said Mr Bairstow reached for a cigarette after coming face to face with Cassius.

"In terms of overcoming fears he couldn't have picked a bigger croc to visit," Mr Scott said.

It is understood Cassius will feature in the next edition of the Guinness World Records.

Mr Scott would not reveal Cassius' recently recorded size except to say he was 5.5m-plus.


No comments: